Vegan Moussaka

Hello flowers! Being vegan in Greece is really hard. Almost every traditional food is packed with animal products and you can’t really f...

Hello flowers!
Being vegan in Greece is really hard. Almost every traditional food is packed with animal products and you can’t really find the vegan options in restaurants, plus everyone here thinks that “vegan” food is weird and if you replace the meat or the milk with something plant based it’s not “normal food”. So I decided to start this mini series were I will be veganising some traditional Greek food. For the first recipe I made vegan moussaka. If you ever come to Greece as a tourist all the restaurants will offer you this dish. It’s well known outside of Greece too and that’s the main reason why I decided to make it first, plus is super easy. So let’s get started!


WHAT YOU WILL NEED

2 potatoes
1 big eggplant
1 cup vegan cheese

For the béchamel

1L dairy free milk (I used soy milk)
12 tablespoons flour
3 tablespoons vegan cheese
4 tablespoons vegan butter
1 cup vegetable broth

For the mince

225g soy mince
200g white mushrooms
1 onion
30g carrots
4 cups water
1 cup vegetable broth

INSTRUCTIONS

  • Preheat the oven to 200oC. Chop the potatoes and the eggplant into 3cm round shapes/strips, put them in a baking tray with parchment paper, add a bit olive oil, salt and paper and cook until they are soft and  a bit brown.
  • For the mince, cut the mushrooms and the onion into tiny pieces, grade the carrot and sauté them for 10 minutes. Then, add the soy mince, the water and the vegetable broth and cook until some of the water has evaporated. Add salt and paper to taste ( I also add some turmeric)
  • For the béchamel heat the milk over medium heat. Then add the vegan butter, the vegan cheese and the vegetable broth. After the butter has melted add slowly the flour. Make sure you use a whisk to mix the flour into the milk. After you’ve added all the flour add salt and paper.  In my experience béchamel made with dairy free milk needs a lot of salt to taste good in a savory dish.
  • Now you can assemble the moussakas.  Take a pyrex and first put the potato and eggplant slices. Then, add the mince and last the béchamel. You can now put at the very top some vegan cheese or breadcrumbs or just leave it like that. I personally added a cup of vegan cheese.  Bake it in the oven at 200oC until the top is golden.


And you are done! It’s really easy, tasty and I hope you liked it! 

If you try this recipe, let me know by tagging me on Instagram! You can find all of my social media information around my blog, or in the about section!


Thank you so much for reading my blog, if you have any questions or suggestions feel free to comment down below!

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Got any question? Comment down below and I will be happy to answer!

Flickr Images